Saturday 2 December 2017

Interview with Becky hill discussing women's magazines

What do you think of traditional women's msgazines? 

 I think traditional women's magazines are extremely outdated and regurgitate the same topics issue after issue. For example it is now January so nearly every magazine cover has a ‘diet’ focused story on it. So I’d say what’s missing is a new point of view and they lack in creativity. 

What feminist issues do you think are most important?

There’s so many but I’d say top on my list would be: The Tampon Tax and The Pink Tax. Having to pay for the morning after pill. Sexual abuse/assault and society’s constant victim blaming. Anxiety and Depression and how long it takes to be able to access the help you need via the NHS. 


What is the current position of women's magazines?

I think it depends on what magazine’s you’re reading. If you’re actively going out and buying independent magazines then yes I think feminism has been given a platform and a voice. I think mainstream magazines are finally realising that things are changing for women and they need to catch up. Politically and socially it’s been a huge 12 months for women speaking out about injustice and I feel like a shift is happening. I hope mainstream magazines will provide a platform for these to be spoken about as fortunately they have the access to some very powerful people that independent mags don’t necessarily have and unfortunately in the world we live in people take note if a famous person is talking about something and doing something about a problem!


No comments:

Post a Comment